The Cost of a Bathroom Renovation in Australia: What You Need to Know.
When it comes to renovating, , the bathroom can be a great way to refresh and add value to your home, and depending on your style, it can also be one of the most expensive rooms to renovate.. In fact, CoreLogic reported an increase of 9% to construction costs in 20221, so it’s important to ensure you do your research and make your renovation costs count.
Basic renovation: A basic bathroom renovation, which typically includes using low-cost materials to update the fixtures, tiling, and paint, can range from $10,000 to $20,000.
Mid range renovation: A mid-range renovation, which might include using standard materials for new cabinetry, a new vanity, or a new shower or bathtub, and potentially make minor alterations to plumbing and electricals. This type of renovation can range from $20,000 to $30,000.
Luxury renovation: A luxury renovation, which could include a complete overhaul of your bathroom using high-end materials, major changes to plumbing and electricals, custom cabinetry and tiles or heated floors, can range from $30,000+
According to the Housing Industry Australia (HIA) bathroom renovations report of 2022, the average cost for renovating bathrooms is around $17,500.
Factors that can impact the cost of a bathroom renovation?
- Size of the bathroom: As a general rule, the larger the bathroom is, the more materials and labor will be required. Therefore, a higher cost, particularly given that bathrooms are wet areas and require tiles, which are found to be the main expense in your bathroom renovation if you are looking to change your tiles Materials: If you decide to go with high end materials or custom cabinetry, this will cost you more than if you use basic low-cost materials.
- Labor: The cost of labor needs to be factored into your renovation budget and will always vary based on your location and the tradespersons experience as well as the supply and demand of materials available.
Is a bathroom renovation worth it?
A bathroom renovation can be a worthwhile investment, as it can add value to your home, improve functionality and increase your enjoyment of the space. A well-designed and well-executed renovation can also improve the energy efficiency of your bathroom, potentially saving you money on utilities in the long run. It can however be expensive and you need to ensure you do your research.
Benefits of a bathroom renovation include:
- Increase the value of your home: While it depends on the individual property well-designed and executed bathroom renovation can increase the value of your home. It is known that you will unlikely loose a significant amount of money with a bathroom renovation, meaning you will likely see returns on putting a little effort and appeal into the space.
- Functionality: A renovation can improve the functionality of your bathroom by adding new fixtures, updating the layout, or increasing storage.
- Enhanced aesthetics: A renovation can improve the overall appearance of your bathroom, making it more enjoyable to use.
- Reduced water usage: Updating to more efficient fixtures and appliances can reduce water usage and lower your water and electricity bill.
How to plan for a bathroom renovation
- Determine your goals and objectives for the renovation. It’s also helpful to list out your reasons for the renovation to see if it is worthwhile before starting.
- Make a list of desired features, fixtures, and fittings. Pinterest is a great source of inspiration to determine the kind of materials and features you want in your bathroom.
- Collect samples of tiles and color swatches to help visualize the finished product.
- Inspect your current bathroom plumbing and electricity positions and consider how they will impact the renovation costs.
- Measure the walls, windows, and doors of your bathroom to plan for space and storage.
- Map out the overall design, including the use of color and finishing touches such as tile size to give you a good indication of what the space will look like.
- Plan the positioning of towel rails and toilet roll holders for convenience and accessibility.
- Research and hire a qualified contractor, and make sure you obtain necessary permits and inspections.
- Create a schedule and timeline for the renovation.
- Prepare for the renovation by removing or protecting any items in the bathroom.
- Once the renovation is complete, make sure to properly maintain and clean the new fixtures and finishes to ensure they last.
Tips for budgeting for your bathroom renovation?
he two most expensive rooms to renovate are known to be the kitchen and the bathroom. So it’s important to stick to create and stick to a reasonable budget.. Here are several tips for the budgeting of your bathroom renovation:
- Get multiple quotes: Avoid going with the first person to send you a quote. You might be surprised to see the difference in quotes between different tradespeople. Getting multiple quotes and comparing can save you money and help you stick to your budget. .
- Prioritise your needs: Make a list of the features, fixtures, and finishes that are most important to you, source and budget accordingly.
- Factor in permits: If you are making significant structural changes make sure to budget for permits and inspections required by your local council. . Usually you will need to contact a licensed contractor and are important to ensure that your renovation is up to code and safe.
Lastly, renovating can be filled with surprises, so be prepared for unexpected costs.
Case studies of a bathroom renovation.
Case Study 1: Small Bathroom Renovation A homeowner in Sydney wanted to renovate their small bathroom and hired a contractor to do the work. The renovation included new tiles, a new vanity, and a new shower. The total cost of the renovation was $8,000.
Case Study 2: Mid-Range Bathroom Renovation A homeowner in Melbourne wanted to update their bathroom and hired a contractor to do the work. The renovation included new tiles, a new vanity, a new shower, and new lighting. The total cost of the renovation was $20,000. Case
Study 3: Luxury Bathroom Renovation A homeowner in Perth wanted to create a luxurious spa-like bathroom and hired a contractor to do the work. The renovation included new tiles, a new vanity, a new shower, new lighting, and a freestanding bathtub. The total cost of the renovation was $40,000.
Need the funds to renovate the bathroom?
If you are looking to renovate your bathroom but need the funds, Joust has a trusted network of partner brokers who can help you get the right loan for your renovation project . From accessing equity to construction loans, Joust can help make your renovation ideas come to life. Get started today and be instantly matched with up to 3 our of partner brokers with the most competitive offers in the market.
*The information contained in this article is intended to be of a general nature only. It has been prepared without taking into account any person’s objectives, financial situation or needs. Before acting on this information, Joust recommends that you consider whether it is appropriate for your circumstances. Joust recommends that you seek independent legal, financial and taxation advice before acting on any information in this article.